Using phpBB as your Joomla Comments Engine

This is where article comments will be kept.

Re: Using phpBB as your Joomla Comments Engine

Postby ijockz » Fri Mar 20, 09 10:47am

[quote="King-Nothing"]Tried with a new user and with moving the joomla-install to the root-directory, but that didn`t do the trick either. :(

Please write me back whenever you`ve had a chance to look at it again. :)[/quote]

I am having a similar problem. It is just random. I looked at the bug report and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.
ijockz
New
New

Postby floppy » Fri Mar 20, 09 12:17pm

Hi people

I'm italian and my english is bad :(

I add the permission to the board for one user to have the full permission to post...

If you want give me your phpBB access and I create the same situation in your forum (send me a mp)

Chris.. Tomorrow I try the new version

bye

PS: chris can you turn bbcode On on this board.. it is more easy to insert code ;)
thanks
floppy
New
New

Postby King-Nothing » Fri Mar 20, 09 2:19pm

I am using my account as the poster and I have admin-access. So it shouldn`t be nessecary to add a new user.
King-Nothing
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ijockz » Sat Mar 21, 09 10:49am

Chris I am having another issue... I have created a group called "Site Bots" so that there is a color associated with any bots especially this comment bot.... after the bot makes posts the colors kind of dissappear... visit my forum to witness this... the username is articlebot not comment bot.
ijockz
New
New

Postby floppy » Sat Mar 21, 09 3:54pm

[quote="King-Nothing"]I am using my account as the poster and I have admin-access. So it shouldn`t be nessecary to add a new user.[/quote]

I suggest you to write to phpbb.com

I'm italian and my phpBB panel is different
bye
floppy
New
New

Postby bluegene » Sat Mar 21, 09 6:32pm

[quote="King-Nothing"]floppy: I`m having trouble with permissions on my phpBB3 board. All the topics are made, but needs to be approved before anyone can view the,. Did you also have this issue? If so, what did you do to fix it?[/quote]

Hi King!

You have to set up permissions on your forum. Probably you have to approve every new topic, correct?

Try this link:
http://www.google.hr/search?q=phpbb3+pe ... s+tutorial
bluegene
Beginner
Beginner

Postby King-Nothing » Sun Mar 22, 09 2:39pm

I have to approve every topic yes, but like I`ve said before; it`s my user which is creating the threads, and I am an admin making me able to do this without approval.

floppy: Here you can read what the phpbb-team answered: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1500775
King-Nothing
Beginner
Beginner

Postby floppy » Mon Mar 23, 09 12:57pm

Hi king..

If you see for the first time an article and you are online on the forum, the topic doesn't must be approved.

If you see for the first time an article and you aren't online on the forum, the topic must be approved..

Chris have you got the solution?

bye
floppy
New
New

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 23, 09 1:03pm

floppy wrote:Hi king..

If you see for the first time an article and you are online on the forum, the topic doesn't must be approved.

If you see for the first time an article and you aren't online on the forum, the topic must be approved..

Chris have you got the solution?

bye

Is that true? If you are logged in, the topic is approved? That would help a great deal if it were true.

King, I noticed that I did have problems staying logged in at your forum. I'm not sure if these problems are related.

---

A big thanks to everyone for helping each other out these past few days. I was sick the past four days with the flu and a nasty fever, so that's why I've been quiet. Now, I will be attending to a personal matter today and tomorrow. After that, I'll be around.

As for King's problem - I still don't have a good feeling as for why it is happening to him and not others.

Chris
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby King-Nothing » Mon Mar 23, 09 1:16pm

Well, my topics are not approved no matter what. :(
King-Nothing
Beginner
Beginner

Postby bluegene » Mon Mar 23, 09 3:51pm

King, here is some explanation for you:

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... _users.php

Steps to solve your problem

1. Log in to your forum with admin account
2. Go to Administration Control Panel (ACP)
3. Users' forum permissions
4. Select Forum where your Bot is posting topics
5. Add user (write username of your Bot)
6. Click submit
7. Select from drop-down menu from list: Complete access (Probably currently your forum setting is "On moderator quene" where moderator/admin has to approve every posted topic).
8. Click send.
9. Try now.

Here is same thing, just more extensive:
Users' forum permissions
Along with editing your users' user account-related permissions, you can also edit their forum permissions, which relate to the forums in your board. Forum permissions are different from user permissions in that they are directly related and tied to the forums. Users' forum permissions allows you to edit your users' forum permissions. When doing so, you can only assign forum permissions to one user at a time.
To start editing a user's forum permissions, start by typing in the user's username into the Find a member text box. If you would like to edit the forum permissions that pertain to the anonymous user, check the Select anonymous user text box. Click Submit to continue.
Selecting forums to assign forum permissions to users. In this example, the "Cats" and "Dogs" subforums (their parent forum is "Pets") are selected. The user's forum permissions for these two forums will be edited/updated.
You should now be able to assign forum permissions to the user. You now have two ways to assign forum permissions to the user: you may either select the forum(s) manually with a multiple selection menu, or select a specific forum or category, along with its associated subforums. Click Submit to continue with the forum(s) you have picked. Now, you should be greeted with the Setting permissions screen, where you can actually assign the forum permissions to the user. You should now select what kind of forum permissions you want to edit now; you may either edit the user's Forum permissions or Moderator permissions. Click Go. You should now be able to select the role to assign to the user for each forum you selected previously. If you would like to configure these permissions with more detail, click the Advanced permissions link located in the appropriate forum permissions box, and then update the permissions accordingly. When you are done, click Apply all permissions if you are in the Advanced permissions area, or click Apply all permissions at the bottom of the page to submit all of your changes on the page.

Or

ACP > User settings > Permissions
Permissions
Here you can see all of the permissions currently set for the user. For each group the user is in, there is a separate section on the page for the permissions that relates to that category.

Hope this can be of help with your problem. If you have more problems, you can always contact me via PM, and I'll leave you my MSN.

Oh, and BTW which forum version do you have?
Have you tried with another user account?
bluegene
Beginner
Beginner

Postby King-Nothing » Mon Mar 23, 09 4:41pm

Thanks a lot for your help, but I have done everything you said (even though I could not find anything wrong with my permissions from the begynning), but it still doesn`t work. I use phpBB 3.0.4 and I have tried with both this bot called ArtikkelBot and my own user. I am 100% that there is nothing wrong with the permissions, and a guy from the support forum at phpbb.com said that the plugin "created" the permissons every time.

Can you tell us what really happens when I create a new article?
King-Nothing
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 25, 09 12:40pm

King,

I think that post on phpBB was the generic form of their support - if it involves a plugin, blame the plugin. I completely agree with their stance, because they cannot support tons of mods, especially if they haven't been submitted through their system.

I'm going ot be spending today working on the plugin, so I'll be back in an hour or two to describe what's happening in submit_post() the function that I'm using to insert topics.

Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby King-Nothing » Wed Mar 25, 09 6:10pm

Did you make any progress? :)
King-Nothing
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 26, 09 1:56am

Not really. I posted a new reply to my old thread in the phpBB forum:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1291535&p=9058835#p9058835

You can follow it yourself, too. There are some people there who know a lot more about the internals of phpBB and they will be willing to help out much more so than in the general support forum. They helped me a great deal when I was writing this in the beginning.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Comments for Chris Boylan .com articles