Using phpBB as your Joomla Comments Engine

This is where article comments will be kept.

Re: Using phpBB as your Joomla Comments Engine

Postby bluegene » Sun Feb 22, 09 6:05am

Yep, Chris, you're right. This error is shown only on new articles.

Also, I've raised bug on your bugtracer. Like I've wrote there I think there is some kind of conflict with RocketTheme. When Comment plugin is published, my index page is not shown fully, but only part of it. First time page was displayed I had same error on top header, but second time it was gone. Although there is no error message, first page (index) which is mixture of more modules is showing only header module (other below are not shown at all). When you have time contact me on mail or PM and I'll give you more info, or I'll show you on my web page.

I'd like to translate "Post a comment" and string that is showing in new thread in forum on Croatian. Which file to modify for translation?
bluegene
Beginner
Beginner

Postby floppy » Sun Feb 22, 09 4:04pm

hi chris

how are you :)???

I'm doing a new website but I have a problem:

I have joomla in
root -- joomla

and phpBB in
root -- phpBB

how I can edit the patch in the plugin to redirect in root -- joomla ???

thanks
hello
floppy
New
New

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 23, 09 3:58pm

Floppy,

Hmm... I didn't get an email notification for your reply. Weird.

Anyhow, that should be fairly easy (if I'm right).

In the plugin's parameters page in the Joomla Administrator section -- Extensions > Plugin Manger > the comment plugin -- change phpBB root path from

Code: Select all
./forum/

to
../phpBB/

and that should be it.

If anyone else is wondering how to do it for their site, phpBB root path should be the string you need to move from the Joomla root directory to the phpBB root directory. As it is in Linux, one dot means the current directory you're in, and two dots means one directory below the current directory.

In your example, you would want to go down one directory (two dots) and then up to your forum directory (/phpBB/).
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby floppy » Wed Feb 25, 09 9:54am

hi chris

I try but It doesn't view phpBB3
-------
The config.php file could not be found.

Click here to install phpBB
-------

I try with /forum/ because I want to go up
-----
root - joomla
root-forum
----

I try with ./forum/ and I have the same result of /forum/
I try with ../forum/ and I have white page

thanks
floppy
floppy
New
New

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 09 2:21pm

Ok, I'm now confused as to what your website setup is. What is the full URL of your joomla installation and what is the full URL of your forum installation?

Also, are both the forum and the joomla installation on the same account and domain at your web host? The php files need to be set up with permission to read each other.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bluegene » Wed Feb 25, 09 3:42pm

Hi Chris,

I have one idea, I think it's good if you could implement it in Comments plugin.

This is scenario:
When article on Joomla has META information, Robots: NOARCHIVE, Google will not make archive of this particular article. My idea is to implement something similar (or same) if we don't wanna that this article is opened as new thread on our forum.

So, this is exclusion rule for article.

What do you think of this?

Please contact me via e-mail. I need your help because I have an issue on index page when your plugin is active.
bluegene
Beginner
Beginner

Postby floppy » Fri Feb 27, 09 10:08am

[quote="Chris"]Ok, I'm now confused as to what your website setup is. What is the full URL of your joomla installation and what is the full URL of your forum installation?

Also, are both the forum and the joomla installation on the same account and domain at your web host? The php files need to be set up with permission to read each other.[/quote]

hi chris

www.filpiweb.com/forum installation of PHPBB3
www.filpiweb.com/ps3 installation of Joomla

Hi floppy
floppy
New
New

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 27, 09 11:42pm

bluegene wrote:This is scenario:
When article on Joomla has META information, Robots: NOARCHIVE, Google will not make archive of this particular article. My idea is to implement something similar (or same) if we don't wanna that this article is opened as new thread on our forum.

So, this is exclusion rule for article.

What do you think of this?

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I think something like that may have to wait for a few release iterations. The first step is to bang out all the existing bugs. The second is to add a component for administration purposes. Then, I am very willing to take on this idea and others to expand it.

As for your other problem, unfortunately, I think you'll have to wait another day or two for another release to fix things.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 27, 09 11:44pm

floppy wrote:http://www.filpiweb.com/forum installation of PHPBB3
http://www.filpiweb.com/ps3 installation of Joomla

Hi floppy

Hey floppy -

so in your case the phpBB root in the plugin settings should be:

../forum/

That goes down one level to the site root, and then back up to the forum directory. If that doesn't work, get back to me.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby floppy » Sat Feb 28, 09 11:09am

hello

I try

with ../forum/
The script go to ps3.filpiweb.com/forum

and not to
www.filpiweb.com/forum.html

thank
floppy
floppy
New
New

Postby floppy » Sat Feb 28, 09 12:04pm

hi chris

I solve to use the .htaccess file

In the .htaccess file you must insert this code:

RedirectMatch 301 ^/forum/(.*)$ http://www.yoursite.com/forum/$1

in /forum/ you must to insert you phpBB3 installation folder

with this code if work perfectly

hi
floppy
floppy
New
New

Postby King-Nothing » Sun Mar 8, 09 5:06pm

Hi!

I just installed this, and it is a beautiful piece of work! :)

But I have some issues I hope you can help me with:

1. I use Norwgian language and I have done some editing in the phpbb-joomla-comments.php-file, but only one of them work. Is there any other places I need to translate?

2. I want the link to the forum to be located at another place. Instead of right under the article-picture I want it all the way to the right on the same line as I have the "read more" text. Where do I have to edit in order du to this?

3. When a new topic is made in the forum it has to be approved before anyone but me as an admin can see it. When I was logged out of the forum and clicked on the link under the article I got an error message from the forum that the topic didn`t exist. But logged is as an admin I approved the topics and then it worked. Where can I turn off this approval feature?

Thanks again for this plugin as it is exactly what I`ve been looking for! :D
King-Nothing

Postby King-Nothing » Sun Mar 8, 09 5:16pm

Forgot to tell you that my url is: [url]www.trommeforum.com/joomla2[/url]

And another bug:

On the first article the font of "Diskutèr i forumet" is different from the one in article nr two. Both of them use the same font, so I don`t understand why it`s different.
King-Nothing

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 8, 09 5:39pm

King-Nothing wrote:1. I use Norwgian language and I have done some editing in the phpbb-joomla-comments.php-file, but only one of them work. Is there any other places I need to translate?

2. I want the link to the forum to be located at another place. Instead of right under the article-picture I want it all the way to the right on the same line as I have the "read more" text. Where do I have to edit in order du to this?

3. When a new topic is made in the forum it has to be approved before anyone but me as an admin can see it. When I was logged out of the forum and clicked on the link under the article I got an error message from the forum that the topic didn`t exist. But logged is as an admin I approved the topics and then it worked. Where can I turn off this approval feature?

Thanks again for this plugin as it is exactly what I`ve been looking for! :D

King-Nothing wrote:And another bug:

On the first article the font of "Diskutèr i forumet" is different from the one in article nr two. Both of them use the same font, so I don`t understand why it`s different.

Thanks, King.

1. That is the only file that needs translation (but there are 3 places you need to translate). I think I'm going to abstract out the text to the admin site, maybe even in the next release I'm going to send out tomorrow.

2. That will be hard. The comments link has its own CSS class (formerly phpbbComments, now boylanComments), so you can add some CSS:
.boylanComments {float:right;}
but that won't fix your specific problem since the read more link is in a lower table row (tr). I can't do anything in the next day or two, but if you are really interested in that feature, put it in my bugtracker. Otherwise, you can alter your template to no longer use tables, and take advantage of floats and CSS positioning.

3. I KNOW!!!! (use your Craig Ferguson voice - even though you've probably never seen him in Norway - he's secretly the best late night talk show host in America right now). Seriously, I have no idea why that is happening. Before I can really solve the problem, I need to get a better handle on WHEN it happens. There's already a bug for it. As far as I can tell, it only happens when a bunch of posts are inserted at the same time (which, now that I think about it, may make it related to some sort of anti-spam feature in phpBB). Once your entire site has comment threads, the problem basically goes away. It's on my list.

4. As for the font thing - it appears that the second article has an unclosed span tag at the end of the intro that is set with a font-family of Verdana. So, the problem is malformed HTML in your article.

Thanks for the feedback and come back tomorrow for a new release at some point with new bugfixes.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby King-Nothing » Sun Mar 8, 09 5:56pm

Thanks for you very quick answers! :)

I can only find one place to translate the part where the topic in phpbb3 says: "Comment thread for:"

This is what it looks like now:

$articleMessage = "Kommentartråd for artikkelen: [url=" . $articleURLnoslash . $articleLink . "]" . $articleTitle . "[/url]";

Is there any other places this needs to be changed? I cannot find it elsewhere.

I had only two articles when I got the error in phpbb3 about unapproved topics...

I have looked, looked again and then again in my articles for the font but I cannot see anything wrong...it would be great it you could help me with this also. :)

Edit:

Tried to create a new user in the bug tracker but I got this error:

Fatal error:
Uncaught Error of type [Swift_ConnectionException] with message [The SMTP connection failed to start [mail.chrisboylan.com:25]: fsockopen returned Error Number 111 and Error String 'Connection refused']
@0 require_once() in /home/cboylan/public_html/task/index.php on line 149
@1 Notifications::Create() in /home/cboylan/public_html/task/includes/modify.inc.php on line 330
@2 Notifications::SendEmail() in /home/cboylan/public_html/task/includes/class.notify.php on line 39
@3 Swift::Swift() in /home/cboylan/public_html/task/includes/class.notify.php on line 286

in /home/cboylan/public_html/task/includes/external/swift-mailer/Swift/Errors.php on line 9
King-Nothing
Beginner
Beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Comments for Chris Boylan .com articles