Using phpBB as your Joomla Comments Engine

This is where article comments will be kept.

Re: Using phpBB as your Joomla Comments Engine

Postby floppy » Sun Jan 18, 09 12:03pm

hello

I try, but it don't work

I see the home page, but when I see an article I have white page

my website is
www.filpiweb.com

but now the plugin is OFF

if you want try I give you admin access

thanks
floppy

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 18, 09 12:05pm

Sure - send it to me via PM - I have 20 minutes right now
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby floppy » Sun Jan 18, 09 12:33pm

I send you a mail

thank lot for work

floppy
floppy

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 25, 09 3:35pm

For everyone's reference, this plugin does not appear to work with the phpbb-seo mod right now, mostly because it modifies the common.php file. I am installing the seo mod on my forum today, and then will get the plugin to work with it shortly thereafter.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kirwan » Mon Jan 26, 09 2:11am

This is a great mod, it's exactly what I was after for my own site.

I have a question/problem though, is it possible to have this configured for a forum that is hosted on another site? I tried using the http path to the forum location but got an error about not being able to find the config.php

A less important problem I struck was what happens when you try to use a hidden forum, it breaks out of the joomla site and displays the login screen for the forum (with no css). I don't want to use a hidden, or password protected forum, just thought I'd mention it in case you want to handle that in another way?
Kirwan
New
New

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 26, 09 2:32am

Kirwan -

Thanks for the kind words.

Unfortunately, this does not work across sites - the joomla plugin needs to access the phpBB files directly in order to do the submit_post().

That's not to say it couldn't be done - it would just be really hard. I'm trying to keep this so it requires no php file modification. What you're talking about would require modifying the phpBB installation fairly heavily to accept topic creation from an outside source. If you can do that, or know of a mod that does that, I may be able to help. You might have to do the heavy lifting on that one though. The code is GPL, so you are free to modify it at will and test things out.

I'm not sure what you're describing about the hidden forum. The plugin inserts the post just as if you were typing it in yourself, so the plugin can do whatever user permissions your CommentBot allows. As for the link at the bottom of each article to the comment thread, that is just a simple, generic topic link. If the topic created is in a hidden forum or something else with weird permissions, it will behave the same as if you posted a topic in that forum, and then emailed the topic link to someone.

Thanks again, Kirwin, for the feedback. It's great to hear that people are finding it useful. I do have a follow-up question, though - if your forum is on a different site, how did you get it to work in a hidden forum? Was it just another forum on your site?

Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 26, 09 2:39am

A follow-up to floppy's earlier problems - the plugin now works on sites that have phpBB SEO rewrite mod installed - as my forum now does.

I need to figure out a good way to have the plugin auto-detect for the URL rewriting before I release an update. I'm thinking something along the lines of checking to see if the main phpbb_seo_class.php file exists, and if so, run the phpBB_seo specific code. Hopefully, no one will have that file in a wacky location. If that works, I'll have an update Monday.

Finally, I am working on a component to handle some administrative tasks for the plugin. When that component is ready (hopefully by the end of the week - I'm out Tuesday at meetings), I'll release it here first and then shortly thereafter to the JED as a beta. Thanks to .Joel for helping me in figuring out how the component would work.

Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kirwan » Mon Jan 26, 09 4:26am

That was a quick reply, thanks. I'm just a tinkerer of php really, that sort of coding is beyond me but I'll see if I can dig up something useful.

Just to be clear, I didn't get it to work on the hidden forum (I was using an admin user), I just received the login page. But if it doesn't work from another host that's the likely reason.
Kirwan
New
New

Postby floppy » Mon Jan 26, 09 11:38am

great work :D

now the plugin is correct and functionally, but I send you a MP with a rewiew

hello
floppy
New
New

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 26, 09 3:06pm

Kirwan - if you see anything, just post it here.

floppy - I'm going to post the contents of you PM here, because I want other people to be able to read what's being discussed so that they can learn for the problems we encountered on your site as well. Generally, if you have to send me email addresses or FTP login information, send it via PM, but everything else - just post it publicly here so others can learn.

see and it is now ok :D . Now the post approved automatically.

But I find these problems: :lol:

1) On my joomla I have 1154 articles and in the board comment there are 52 argoments
Where is the other article??

2) When the plugin is On in lot of articole articles I have this error:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home...[redacted].../public_html/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 359: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/...[redacted].../public_html/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 362: mysql_free_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

3) I have the forum in a subdomain:
forum.filpiweb.com
How can I change the code for the subdomain?

When the plugin is finished I give you the translation to Italian :D

thanks lot for your work. now it is very very good :D :D

Again, thanks for the kind words. Hearing people use it and like it just motivates me to make it better.

As for your problems:

1) Currently, the plugin is disabled, so no more comment threads are being created. The threads are only created when an article is visited by someone, so turning on the plugin does not instantly create a comments thread for every article on your site. You've either have to load every article yourself or just wait and let the spiders crawling your site to basically do it for you over a few days. It's not really a problem, as you don't need a comment thread for an article no one has read.

2) Yes, that is correct - here is the bug in the bugtracker for it. I hope to fix that shortly as well.

3) Currently, the comment thread link at the bottom of each article is created by joining the directory of the forum, the forum id and the topic id. All are automatically generated, except for the forum directory, which is a plugin parameter. This is just a relative URL, so it takes on the domain that your are currently visiting. When I create the component, I will let you override this. Until then, you can change the three instances of this code:
Code: Select all
$html .= '<div class="phpbbComments"><a href="' . trim($Commentparams->get('phpBBRootPath', './forum/')) ...
to this:
Code: Select all
$html .= '<div class="phpbbComments"><a href="INSERT_DOMAIN_OF_FORUM_HERE' . trim($Commentparams->get('phpBBRootPath', './forum/')) ...

Of course, you'll want to replace INSERT_DOMAIN_OF_FORUM_HERE with your forum's domain name - which in your case would be forum.filpiweb.com .

Hopefully I'll have an updated plugin in the next 12 hours. Then it's back to working on the component.

And I thank you again for offering the Italian translation. When I'm ready to release it to the JED, I'll send a list of phrases to translate your way first. Everybody helps just a little bit and things get better. For others reading this, I'll gladly take translations when it's time, or simply feedback on how it's working. Every little bit helps.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby floppy » Tue Jan 27, 09 10:00am

hello.

thanks for your reply

Ok i wait for the next release to do the modify and publish it.

I have upload the italian translation for the plugin

when you have the latest release give me the files and I test and translate.

thaks
floppy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
floppy
New
New

Postby James78 » Sat Feb 14, 09 8:48pm

Your plugin looks great! I however do have a slight feature request. Would it be possible to have whatever content that's in the Joomla article also be part of the topic that's created on phpBB? This would require a bit of work however, as you'd need to convert such strings as <b> to [b], and generate_text_for_storage, but since you are using submit_post, I suppose that wouldn't be much of an issue, only problem being converting the text to be compatible with BBCode. Anyhow, I'd like this, and great plugin!
James78

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 14, 09 8:56pm

Yeah, I was supposed to have the plugin and component ready by now, but life happened. For reference, it was absurdly windy this week and our satellite dish got ripped off the side of our house. Being the resident repairman has kept me busy. Hopefully a new release in the next week. (Note: the current release still works if you do not have phpbb-seo installed.)

As for the inserted text: I used to do that for my old plugin, but as you point out the big problem is converting html to bbcode. Secondarily, if you modify your article, it will not be updated in the forum.

I think it may be something I tackle later, but I wouldn't expect to see that in the next few weeks, or even before I package it and release it to the JED. However, it is a possibility, especially if a lot of people want it.

Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bluegene » Thu Feb 19, 09 4:48pm

Hello,

I have installed your plugin (which is great BTW) on my joomla, and I have error.

Plugin version: phpbb-joomla-comments-v0.1
Joomla version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable
> with RocketTheme package which includes: mod_rokcontentrotator, mod_rokintroscroller, mod_signallogin
PHPbb3 version: 3.0.0

Bug description
Action: When plugin is published
Result: 1. First page (which is not as usual frontpage) is shown partially, 2. Frontpage - above every article is shown php error (see below), 3. In forum is created only 5 topics.
Expected: 1. First page should load correctly (needed option to exclude first page from being "scanned" for articles / needed option to select which categories to post on forum).

Error:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/mywebpage/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 353: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/mywebpage/public_html/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 356: mysql_free_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

If you need more info on issue, or if you have solution for fixing send mail to bluegene dot genai a gmail dot com

thank you!
bluegene

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 19, 09 4:54pm

bluegene,

Thanks for the remarkably detailed bug report! Seriously, that makes life much easier.

Yes, that problem has existed for a bit, but I can't tackle it today or tomorrow (I'm doing the taxes for my corporation). Basically, that is an error from crappy coding on my part - it is generated only once, when the topic is inserted into phpBB. If you refresh the page, and every article on the page already has a topic in phpBB, that error should disappear. Of course, that isn't really an acceptable solution, but its what we'll have to put up with for a few more days.

I'll post back in this thread when things are fixed, so if you are set up to receive notification for updates to this thread, you will be notified.

Chris
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Comments for Chris Boylan .com articles