Setting up Webspace

Click here to read general posts by and about Chris and all of his Chrisness.

Setting up Webspace

Postby brian » Fri Jul 23, 04 12:11pm

i'm finally trying to make use of the web space i'm taking part in. as such i have a question or two because i'm clueless how to get this going. hopefully someone here can toss me a hint.

i went and got a domanin name from godaddy.com. i login there and point the 'nameservers' to the ns1.chrisboylan.com and ns2 deal.

i've uploaded a basic webpage to be my starting webpage. i can get there by doing the whole www.chrisboylan.com/~loginname thing, btu how do i tie the domain name to this?

thanks in advance.
brian
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 23, 04 1:29pm

Good question. In order to tie the domain name to your webspace, I need to enter the domain name to the DNS (Domain Name Server) here on the server. Just email it to me or post it here and I'll get it up within a few minutes. It may take a day or two for the change at GoDaddy to propogate throughout the internet, but the change on this end would be instantaneous.

And don't worry about asking questions you may fear are dumb. The only reason I know this crap is that I've been obsessing about it for quite a few years now. Besides, most of the questions I'm asked have been asked before - but don't get posted here because people are embarrassed. Don't worry about, just post away and as more people get comfortable with it, answers will come from other users, just not me.
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brian » Fri Jul 23, 04 1:35pm

thanks for the info. the domain name is www.breeon.com
brian
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 23, 04 11:54pm

It's done and you're up and running! Glad to see you join the Chris Boylan web-hosting kingdom, for he is a kind and benevolent ruler.

I would have responded sooner, but I was at Barnes & Noble doing a book reading for the kids. I will be home all tomorrow nursing my cold, and close to the computer if you have any questions.
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

dumb question

Postby greg » Sat Jul 24, 04 3:23pm

Brian, that was a dumb question :lol:
greg
Beginner
Beginner

Return to General - Chris Boylan