opinions on the new American version of The Office?

Click here to read general posts by and about Chris and all of his Chrisness.

opinions on the new American version of The Office?

Postby rjsmerigan » Fri Mar 25, 05 12:59pm

I think Steve Carell is hilarious. He played the too friendly boss role to perfection. Other notable elements the guy who changes his job title to make himself seem more important & the overly literal secretary with no business sense & dreams of being an artist ... awesome!

It made me laugh, but I can't compare it to the original BBC version ... I've never watched a single episode.
I've become the person I generally love to hate.
rjsmerigan
New
New

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 26, 05 5:24pm

Ron -- I cannot recommend the British version highly enough. It's not quite up to the level of The Wire/Arrested Development/Sports Night (my top 3), but it's damn close. When you watch the British version, I feel it captures the atmosphere better.

However, I'm biased because I saw it first. I think Carell is hilarious, but compared to the British version, he doesn't show the unbelievable neediness that Gervais had.

---HOWEVER! This is only based on one show, and I am reserving judgement until I see the first five or six episodes. I know the characters really well from having seen all the British episodes, so of course I'm going to be disappointed that they don't cover all the aspects of their personalities in the first 22 minutes - but they need time.

Incidently, the first episode was almost word-for-word identical to the original British pilot. They plan to do completely new scripts after this and I can't wait.

I am also holding my breath in anticipation of another British comedy giant - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The main role of Arthur Dent is being played by Tim from the Office - I think he's Jim in the American version - the guy who put the office supplies in jello. He played the role as a much more subversive guy, but again -- too early to judge.

If you're interested in seeing the British version - send me an email.
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: opinions on the new American version of The Office?

Postby Radioplay » Tue Feb 10, 09 8:14am

Last week, what was with the "To Be Continued" at the end? Isn't it normally a continuation in storyline every week? I mean, look at the whole Jim and Pam thing.
Radioplay
New
New

Postby Radioplay » Tue Feb 10, 09 8:41pm

"that's what she said" montage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLQKsuogUXo
Radioplay
New
New

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 10, 09 11:33pm

I think the "To be continued" was an indication that the story will pick up immediately from that point next week, which it normally does not. The Office never starts off in the middle of a confrontation or period of tension, it always begins low-key to show the bring and mundane of everyday office life.

I'm guessing you'll love this reference, but one of my other favorite shows, "Gilmore Girls", kind of had the same problem. The show always started off with a slice-of-life, meandering through town scene or something. So, if the previous episode ended on a high-tension note, the next episode couldn't start off from that point, it had to take place a day or two later - and then over the first 10 minutes, it would be revealed to us what had happened through character dialogue.

I never liked how Gilmore Girls would do that, especially since they would end on cliffhangers for the season, and then come back months later - storyline-wise.

The Office kind of has that same problem - that moment where Pam convinces Michael to visit Holly was pretty cool and if The Office were not "continued" it would be tough to pick up on that momentum. By continuing it, they'll probably show the final scene from last week and go straight into the two of them driving to New Hampshire.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 10, 09 11:36pm

My favorite of the montage is when he's yelling at himself "No time!" after he makes the joke, and then does it again two seconds later.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Styght » Sat May 16, 09 9:58am

C`mon, nobody can beat this face :)
http://blogs.redding.com/mbeauchamp/arc ... _smile.jpg

Original all the way for moi.

I have the same "feeling" for Pink Panther. Watching Steve Martin in role of Jacques Clouseau after Peter Sellers is just to painful :)

Cheers all.
Styght
New
New

Return to General - Chris Boylan