Just when I was making progress

This is where article comments will be kept.

Just when I was making progress

Postby Blog » Fri Jan 16, 04 12:36pm

Permanent link to: <br /><br /><a href="http://www.chrisboylan.com/blog/archives/000227.php">Just when I was making progress</a>

<p>I had finished my X-Box, installed a network card on my TiVo, got my new MX-500 Universal Remote mostly programmed (relieving me of the 7 plus remote mess on the coffee table) and was working towards finally making this site pretty. I even managed to get some new pictures up (which many of you have noticed). And then...</p>

<p>TiVo takes a crap. Last night, while watching Family Guy (which I often do while working on the site) the TiVo froze up - a first in its two years. Then, I rebooted it, and got the fabled Green Screen of Death (GSOD). The GSOD is much like Windows' BlueSOD, except green. You're supposed to let it try to fix itself for the next day or so - which I did to no avail. Now, I have to boot this computer into Linux using a boot CD and extract the video files I want to keep, run diagnostics on the drives, and then reformat them for the TiVo. That should take a day or two. Good Times.</p>

<p>At least if I'm going to fill my day with nothing I picked the right day to do so. Right now there are no degrees outside. That's kind of creepy. Lacking any degrees sounds much worse than actually being on the negative side of the ledger. It makes walking in our 8" of snow sound liek you're walking on the moon. Your nostrils freeze on inhale, melt on exhale. In the 30 seconds from my car to the apartment, I lost all feeling in my right hand. So maybe not going outside tomorrow is the right thing to do.</p>
Blog
Advanced
Advanced

cold

Postby dd » Fri Jan 16, 04 12:39pm

I think if that happened to out Tivo you'd be on the next flight home to fix it.

Also while school was canceled yesterday due to snow. Today ti was canceled due to cold. Before people get all upity about it being closed due to cold, keep in mind the school has a uniform of a skirt. And no stockings can warm you up when it feels like -30 out. Even the secret Tunnel underneath the parking lot to get from one building to another wont keep you warm enough.
Your agenda of hope just made me shit my pants. -Jon Stewart
dd
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby rjsmerigan » Fri Jan 16, 04 3:51pm

sorry to hear about the almight TiVo going down . . . but don't you live for linux . . . anyway, how is that MX-500 remote? . . . I saw them profiled on TechTV . . . Thought I might get one for Dad for his B-day . . .
rjsmerigan
New
New

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 16, 04 7:07pm

I like linux and believe that it will surpass Windows in the next ten years - however that still doesn't make it easy to learn right now.

As for the remote, it takes a little work to program it. However, it does learn ANY button your other remotes have. It has been slowly replacing all others and will soon be programmed with one button that will turn on all components and one to turn them off.

Basically, it's a spectactular remote, especially if you want to eliminate ALL other remotes in the house. The only negative is that it's gonna take some time ( an hour or two) to program it completely and that it costs $100. Best price is at http://www.bluedo.com.
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 19, 04 5:48pm

Chris, you have proved my theory. You are a cyborg. That is in no way an insult. Who programs you? Is it the government? Some independent millionare? When I think of all the technical elements involved in your reworking, building and salvaging of electronics, here's what I look like: :shock:
I'm not kidding!!! Now I have an IT guy if our computer ever goes blue. Sweet.

Later,
Liz

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 20, 04 1:19am

I thank you... I guess.

My only question is - if I am such a techno-genius, then why does so much of my stuff not work completely right? As a result, my living room looks like an electronic junkyard - much to Amber's chagrin.

In addition, why does this website look so cheesy?
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Comments for Chris Boylan .com articles