It's coming!

This is where article comments will be kept.

It's coming!

Postby Blog » Tue Apr 20, 04 3:32am

Permanent link to: <br /><br /><a href="http://www.chrisboylan.com/blog/archives/000255.php">It's coming!</a>

<p>And by that I mean the NFL Draft. </p>

<p>No, while I am excited about the upcoming NFL Draft this weekend, (and praying that the Giants pass on Eli Manning and pick up Gallery or Sean Taylor) I am much more excited about this Monday's coming departure for the "Chris Across America Trip". Alright, I need a better name for this thing. All suggestions are welcome.</p>

<p>We have procured many of the things we will need, like bottles of water and Compact Flash to USB adapters, but I still feel that much of this is still wildly unplanned. Part of that's good, but I would feel better if I knew where we were staying in SF and LA. Right now, I'm waiting on some people to get me info on good places to stay in those cities, so there's not much I can do there, but I still feel like I should be doing more.</p>

<p>The thought that has crept persistently into my head the past day or two is the prospect of renting a convertible. It looks like it would cost about $900 for the two weeks. That's a ton of money, especially for the unemployed like myself, but I still feel a desire to throw caution into the wind, because I don't think an opportunity like this will come around again. I've been trying to rationalize it, and my latest attempt actually kind of worked. I checked the Kelly Blue Book value on my car, and the value decreases by $400 if I were to put 8,000 miles it, which should be about right for the trip. That means that renting the car would actually only cost me $500 in real money. That's $35/day for sunshine on my face and blue skies all around. I'm getting pretty close to saying yes. </p>

<p>And then I just took a look at my check book. Ugh.</p>

<p>And then... The stock market went well my way again today, and I'm up another $350 today. That's about ten days of the car. I'm really only paying for four days! </p>

<p>I'll have a decision in the next day or two. </p>

<p>Until then, I need names for the trip, so please submit them via comments below. The winner gets the satisfaction of being the winner, and isn't that what it's all about?</p>

<p>P.S. I brought back my old TiVo from the grave tonight, so I'm in a very "King of the World" mood with my stock luck and technical expertise. Maybe that's what's filling my head with this car talk.</p>
Blog
Advanced
Advanced

Brendan's Top 10 Trip Titles

Postby Brendan » Tue Apr 20, 04 8:54am

1. Non-German's March on the West
2. San Fransisco Bold Rush
3. Lewis & Clark: The Next Generation
4. TiVo Overload 2004
5. You're a Bunch of Coachellas!
6. Coachellas in the Mist
7. $2.50 For Gas?! OMGWTFBBQ!!!
8. Why Do I Live in Michigan?
9. Could You Say That in My Good Ear?(if convertible)
10. Two Words: Mexican Detour
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

trip names

Postby greg » Tue Apr 20, 04 9:52am

1) The First Annual Reality Avoidance Trip
(assuming you don't count the initial move to Detroit as some sort of "trip" wherein you avoided reality)

2) The "I'm Just Going To The Store To Get Some Sprite...There Was No Sprite At The Store Once Again...No I Was Not Smoking...Well I Don't Smell Smoke" Vacation
(sorry for the inside joke people)

3)The Relationship Test
greg
Beginner
Beginner

correction

Postby brian » Tue Apr 20, 04 5:33pm

it was diet sprite.
come on now greg.
sugar kills remember.
brian
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 20, 04 5:37pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 21, 04 4:02am

I like the fact that the first two people to post are in college and Law school, a.k.a. "an absurd amount of free time".

As for the winner, I haven't picked one yet. Entries may be submitted as late as I feel like accepting them. As for now, though, I think I am going to go with a more generic title for the trip, with some of the submissions earlier today as subtitles.

So, funny is always good and will be used, but I'm also looking for something that captures the whole trip while still explaining to first-time visitors what the hell is going on. "No, You're a Bunch of Coachellas!" is hilarious, but will confuse everyone that is not in my immediate family. Please keep sending suggestions. Try for broad and possibly alliteration. I've always liked it, despite it's corniness.

All accepted suggestions for subtitles will rotate on the main page with attribution. The winning title will be shown across the top with attribution as well.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 21, 04 4:02am

Oh, and Brian gets credit for one of the best sniper jobs I have ever seen.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

My turn

Postby Marina » Wed Apr 21, 04 3:44pm

How about...
The unformulated foray of the penurious pilgrims 2004
or
Chris goes west
Marina

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 21, 04 10:08pm

Holy belly ache...First Annual Reality Avoidance Trip? The Relationship Test? COACHELLAS IN THE MIST? I'm dying...so friggin' funny. Made my night. Word up.

Liz

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 22, 04 4:25pm

Hey Chris, ESPN has been reporting today that the Giants are trying to trade up for the 1st pick to get Eli because he is a baby and his daddy won't let him play for the Chargers.
Matt

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 22, 04 4:28pm

Yeah, if you check the other forum, my brother and I have been bitching about it recently. I'm not a fan of the trade. Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it. Any Giants news is welcome here.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brendan » Thu Apr 22, 04 4:30pm

Check out the Chris-Brendan exchange over in the Forum Section
Giants' Draft Prospects
Last edited by Brendan on Thu Apr 22, 04 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Brendan » Thu Apr 22, 04 4:32pm

I spent so much time trying to figure out how to change the text from the URL to another title, that ya scooped me.
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Spam

Postby Spam » Fri Jul 23, 04 1:52am

Yes -- this was a spam post. There used to be a link here to a gambling site, which is used to boost that page's search ranking. So I deleted it. If you see others like this, report the post to me either in the forum, via Private Message or email me. The quicker the better, so that the search engines never see it.
Spam

Postby Brendan » Sat Jul 24, 04 12:01am

Jack confused.

WTF. The previous post has the feel of spam. Am I wrong? I feel violated.
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Next

Return to Comments for Chris Boylan .com articles