Giants, Collins Set to Go Separate Ways

Click here to read general posts by and about Chris and all of his Chrisness.

Giants, Collins Set to Go Separate Ways

Postby Brendan » Mon Apr 26, 04 3:47pm

Here's an article from the AP, I can't get on BBI to see if there's futher conformation, but it appears as though KC will be released within the next few days:

With Eli Manning in town, Kerry Collins is ready to leave.

Collins, who took the New York Giants to the 2001 Super Bowl, said his goodbyes Monday after five years with the team. While the quarterback wasn't officially released, Collins and the Giants said that would happen in the next few days.

On Saturday, the Giants traded North Carolina State quarterback Philip Rivers and three draft choices to the San Diego Chargers for Manning, the No. 1 overall pick.

Manning's salary makes it almost impossible for the team to have cap room for two highly paid QBs. Collins, 31, will earn $7 million next season but will cost $8.95 million of the $80.6 million salary cap.

"I figured there was no reason to hang around," Collins said after turning down a request by Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi to restructure his salary or take a significant salary cut.

Collins also has the impression new coach Tom Coughlin seemed ready to start Manning almost immediately.

"Ernie told me that he felt Eli was one of the three or four best college quarterbacks he's seen in the last 20 years," Collins said. "Someone like Elway or Marino. Someone like that."

Collins said he realized being released this late would make it difficult for him to land a starting job elsewhere.

"Most teams have their quarterbacks in place by this spot," he said.

One possibility could be Baltimore where Jim Fassel, the Giants coach during Collins' tenure in New York, is a consultant working with quarterbacks. Second-year man Kyle Boller has been designated as the Ravens' starter, but there is no one on the roster with anything close to Collins' starting experience.

I'll check back if the BBI Forum says the same
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Brendan » Mon Apr 26, 04 3:51pm

Here's something else from the Miami-Herald

Quarterback Kerry Collins is expected to be traded or cut this week after having a meeting with New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi this morning.

Although there has been no formal announcement from the Giants, at least two teams are already in line to acquire Collins, a source close to Collins said. Dallas and San Francisco had already inquired about Collins by mid-day after Newsday quoted Collins saying he refused to restructure his contract.

Collins has been talking privately about going to Dallas since January, when it became apparent the Giants were either going to get another quarterback and/or not sign Collins to a new deal. Collins has one year remaining on his contract.

Collins is interested in the Cowboys because Sean Payton, his former quarterbacks coach with the Giants, is the offensive coordinator in Dallas.

The Dolphins declined to comment on whether they would be interested in Collins, citing league rules about not talking about players under contract with other teams.

I'd pretty much believe it, but the Herald seems to suggest that a trade may also be in the works. I hope they get SOMETHING in return for Kerry.
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Brendan » Tue Apr 27, 04 10:46pm

The departure of Collins is getting more and more confirmed. The only reason the Giants haven't cut him yet, is that they want to see if they can trade Collins. However, since most teams have a QB in place and any trade would require Collins agreeing on a restructured deal, the agent has alot of power, so a trade looks near impossible. Accorsi has said that the Giants offered to restructure his deal so that he still gets the full $7 million and can void the additional years, but Collins won't go for it. So, say goodbye to Kerry if you already have not.

Of Note:
The Giants signed QB Jared Lorenzen aka "The Hefty Lefty", called so because he is about a happy meal away from 300 lbs. Additionally, QB Damon Huard will be visiting the Giants. He was a backup in New England under OC Hufnagel.
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 28, 04 1:45pm

Thanks, keep it coming. The HEFTY LEFTY!!!
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brendan » Thu Apr 29, 04 11:19am

It's now official. The G-Men apparently have about $9 million to work with under the cap. I just feel doom setting in. A great, dark cloud has decended upon the Giants, but without a 1st round pick to soften the blow. But maybe that means Eli will be starting by the end of the year, because it won't matter. Hopefully they can use the money on someone TALENTED, but I just don't feel as optimistic as I have in the past.
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Chris » Sat May 1, 04 1:09am

Nor should you. The Giants have taken a bold step into the future when only a small step was needed. If it works, maybe in a year or two, they'll be back where they were two weeks ago. If not, please kiss away the next 5-7 years.
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General - Chris Boylan