Freddy Mercury is Alive!

This is where article comments will be kept.

Freddy Mercury is Alive!

Postby Blog » Tue Feb 10, 04 10:07am

Permanent link to: <br /><br /><a href="http://www.chrisboylan.com/blog/archives/000235.php">Freddy Mercury is Alive!</a>

<p>For the first time in about four years, I bought a music CD. </p>

<p>For a long time, I've been content to not seek out music and it hasn't been a particularly large part of my life. Then I met <a href="http://www.amberkmiller.com">Amber</a>. My beautiful girlfriend is borderline obsessed with music and after forcing me to listen to many of her CDs, she has turned me around. I thought that I just didn't like music as much as everybody else. It turns out that I just didn't like CRAPPY music. Ah-hah!</p>

<p>However, as my thirst for good tunes grew, she was always there. She always got the CD before I did, negating my need to buy one myself. Until...</p>

<p><a href="http://www.thedarknessrock.com">THE DARKNESS !!!!!</a></p>

<p>Combining everything that was right about glam rock and Queen with the fact that they are about 20 years late to the dance, The Darkness are unapologetically rockin'. If you turn on MTV, they're one of the buzzworthy videos right now. Try to catch it, as it is a wonderful return to the beginning of music videos, filled with awful special effects and some barely coherent storyline where the band fights off aliens with beams that fire out of -- OH YES! -- THEIR GUITARS!! The music literally saves the day. Clearly, the pre-production meetings for this video (and the band in much the same way) were filled with one repeated suggestion: make that bigger and more over-the-top!</p>

<p>Hopefully, you've begun to hear "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" before, but if you haven't, visit <a href="http://www.thedarknessrock.com">their site</a> for the video and song. It is Queen times two - if that's possible. I'm going to be seeing them when they come to St. Andrews Hall in a few weeks, rockin' it hard. I'd have to say the most interesting aspect of the band that I hope to investigate deeper at the concert is - I'm not particulary sure if they are approaching this with the same grasp of irony that I am. Nevertheless, the music is good and I own the CD. And Amber hates it.</p>

<p>The Darkness - "Permission to Land"</p>
Blog
Advanced
Advanced

Postby amberkmiller » Tue Feb 10, 04 8:20pm

i do not hate it. i hate that its in my head and it wont get out. im still undecided about where i stand on the album. but its damn catchy.

amber miller
amberkmiller
New
New

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 11, 04 11:10am

I didn't let you know before, but yes, we do have tickets. There will be some sort of pre-Darkness shindig because AT LEAST 15 other people are going. I'm going to freak out, hopefully not black out, but definitely rock out.

Good TiVO tactics with "Beavis and Butthead." When MTV was at it's peak...and not shitty.

Later!
Liz

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 11, 04 3:00pm

Yes, that song has been growing on me and the video is very bizarre. A mix of Duran Duran and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's so entertaining because it is sooooo ridiculous. The lead singer looks like a charicature of, yes, Freddie Mercury. I'm still hesitant to get the album, but I'm seriously thinking of getting John Mayer's album.
Brendan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby dd » Thu Feb 12, 04 12:14am

i dont think john mayer is a flash in the pan act, but his first album was definitly better then his second.
Your agenda of hope just made me shit my pants. -Jon Stewart
dd
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 12, 04 4:09am

The song is so damn catchy, I find myself trying to sing it constantly. However, the absurdly high notes that it requires usually cause me to constrict my throat in a vain attempt to hit them. This invariably results in me almost choking and then coughing violently for the next 30 seconds. Then I try it again.

As for the album, it is as advertised - an album that would be perfect for release in 1977. My only grudge after repeated listening is that there's a little too much ballady type stuff for my tastes. I want more rockin', less cryin'. In their defense, one of the "ballads" - and I use that term very loosely - is so stuck in my head right now. It's more of a power ballad actually.

P.S. Liz - if you register, you can get a fancy name, avatar/icon thingy, and colored Blain heads when you post a lot. Brendan only needs one more post for a colored Blain head.
I'm the Chris Boylan who runs Chris Boylan dot com. So there.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Darkness Sucks

Postby Tito » Thu Feb 19, 04 9:30am

I'm very sorry, but their music is nothing spectacular. And it definately doesn't compare to Queen!

Chris...by the way...who are you? :twisted: :twisted:
Tito

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 19, 04 4:45pm

Who am I? I think my signature explains it all... I'm the Chris Boylan who runs this site.

I guess I don't understand your question, Tito. Are you asking because you think you know me, or are you asking because you feel we all need to have a deep philosophical understanding of what our existence truly means?

I'm guessing it's the former, mostly becasue of the devil heads after your post.

If you're looking for bio information, I grew up in Jersey, went to high school and college in New York City (Regis and Fordham), and then moved out to Detroit for a job. I used to work in radio before getting tossed, and I hope to work in radio again. I've been in Michigan for two and a half years now.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Leo » Mon Jan 3, 05 6:08pm

The Darkness rocks my face off. And yours too. I don't know how old this thread is, but I found it when I searched for Freddy Mercury Avatar.

Anywho...Queen is the best. No one will ever be better. Not even the Darkness, although they're almost as good. :D
Leo

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 5, 05 10:57pm

How awesome are search engines that allow this site to appear as a result for absolutely random stuff?
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Comments for Chris Boylan .com articles